Thursday, March 13, 2008

What happened to theatre?

We discussed in class the Church's integration of theatre and other cultural arts in the youth programs in the past compared to the relative dismissal of theatre alltogether that we see across the board today. Naturally, this conversation got me a little "riled up" as I remember the countless hours I spent on Wednesday nights playing basketball for a mutual activity and never being interested in the activitied church leaders seemed to assume we were interested in.
This is more, though, than the rantings of a kid who sucked at sports, more than the accusation of negligent youth leaders. This is an indication of a greater problem in the institutional church. I visited a ward in Pleasant Grove last Sunday and was impressed by the useful and functional (albeit small and primative) stage with which the cultural hall was equipped. I was delighted to see that there was a place for cultural events along with the familiar basketball and volleyball capabilities. At home in Sacramento, I go to church in one of the largest buildings I've seen in the church. It has two stories, two chapels, two cultural halls, and no stage. It is all too clear where the Church's priorities seem to lie these days. It is extremely rare to see a church building without a gymnasium. But as far as the "cultural hall" goes, little preparations are made for cultural presentations whatsoever. A raised platform and an occasional front curtain are token gestures but represent a lack of any real commitment to fostering a love of the arts within the church.
Why this change? Is it budgetary? Is it because of the growing number of church members worldwide and the need for speedy construction? Or is it what it appears to be: a churchwide abandonment of the arts? I hope it isn't the latter. I have been involved in theatre for most of my life and I've been constantly challenged by the task of reconciling my membership in the church with my involvement in the arts. I've had to justify myself to many of those basketball-loving young men's leaders who thought no good could come from practicing theatre. We know from the words of the Brethren that artistic expression can and should be something virtuous, lovely, and or good report and praiseworthy (to borrow a phrase) but unless we truly invest time, money, and energy in these essential areas, artists in the church will continue to feel marginalized and Zion will not grow in beauty as we know it must.

No comments: