Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Saturday's Warrior" - Heaven help us...

Okay, I admit, I didn't go into my viewing experience with a very open mind. I had seen it before and was thoroughly unimpressed the first time, so the thought of sitting through another two hours of "Yes-Flinders-No-Flinders" was not an appealing prospect. Unlike a lot of my friends I wasn't raised watching this video. My first time seeing it was as a jaded teenager who already had the makings of a theatre snob. And I am, admittedly, NOT the target audience for this musical. However, I did go into this experience with a more critical eye and would not let myself dismiss what I saw as "fluff." I found myself genuinely curious as to why this musical had such a profound influence on Church members. (I also tried my best to look past the poor production quality and imagine what the original stage production might have been like.) In watching "Saturday's Warrior" I noted several reasons why this has occurred.
1. Mormons onstage! Yeah, it's that simple. The fact that LDS beliefs and culture found themselves singing and dancing onstage in a musical is enough reason to get people excited. Seeing something performed validates it in a way and there is no denying the potential "fun factor" of a performance of "Saturday's Warrior."
2. Wholesome family entertainment. Mormons get excited about squeaky clean easy-to-digest entertainment. (Note, for example, the success of "High School Musical.") Naturally, then, "Saturday's Warrior" posed no threat to anybody's thresh holds regarding sex, violence, or language. That in and of itself almost assures a place in this specialty niche market.
3. The plan of salvation exposed. This show has been widely criticized for its inaccurate doctrinal points especially regarding the pre-mortal, mortal, and post-mortal life of its characters. However, it was something incredible, I'm sure, to see the abstract principles we'd heard in Sunday School as the meat-and-potatoes of a compelling narrative.
4. Hot topics. There is certainly no denying the power of the arts in discussing important issues and having a lasting effect on the viewers. Obviously the issues of overpopulation and abortion were paramount when this play was written and they are dealt with dramatically in "Saturday's Warrior." The writers took a firm stand on the side the Church has taken and infused the script with topical significance.
5. Home video. Mormons love videos. Most of the people I know who confess their love for this musical do so because of their experience with the video. "I watched it every Sunday afternoon," "It was my favorite video as a kid," and the like. The recording, though very poorly done, comodified the production and made it widely available to brainwash, I mean, uplift Church members all over.
I'll be honest: I did not enjoy this production. I doubt I would enjoy it onstage and I honestly hope never to be a part of any production in the future. However, I can see to a certain extent how this story has found its place in the heart of Mormon culture and in the hearts of Church members everywhere. Just not mine.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I'm a born-and-raised Utahan, and a Mormon, and I only ever watched it once. My dad objected to the rampant false doctrine. :) That being said, though, I do love the opening song. A lot.